a blog about cents, in every form & measure

Monday, December 6, 2010

#reverb 10 - Day 1

(this is the first in a blog series I'm doing using Reverb 10 prompts! For more about the project, click here)

Author: Gretchen Rubin
The Happiness Project
@gretchenrubin

Prompt: Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

This prompt just brought a huge smile to my face! I am not "crafty" by any means (in fact, my husband LOVES to tease me about the sweater I'm knitting him...to be finished never, as my innermost perfectionist finds crafting extremely stress-inducing...my motto is "why make it if I can buy it?"), but I did manage to crank out some projects for my wedding which took place just a few months ago!

The last project or craft which I had made for the wedding were adorable cake flag toppers for the individual slices of cake which we served our guests at the reception! No matter that I had never seen a cake flag before; the moment I saw them on weddingbee, I had to have them! Absolutely no matter that I do not craft as a general rule, do not even own a pair of useable scissors, and did not have the time to create cake flags in the triple digits. Did I let that deter me? NO.WAY. So I looked up a variety of instructions for them, schlepped to the craft store, freakin' agonized about the shade of paper(s) to be used, agonized some more about fonts to be used, and did my thang! I made my hubbs cut out every.single.flag. since he had the (office) equipment to do so, and then I used pinking shears (had to buy these!) to create fun edges and then glued the flags to toothpics. It took a good amount of time, but I was prouder than proud that they didn't suck & actually looked really nice! It was a moment (when during which my then-fiance just shook his head and forbade me to do anymore tasks wedding-related since we were just a week away from the date) and I was super happy. It was like reliving my four year old self's proclamation of "look mom, I colored in the lines!"

Let's just bypass the fact that the oldies at the wedding could not read the flags to save their lives given our sexy mood lighting...I loved them, they didn't suck (how many times can I reiterate this one?!), and they were definitely a big hit! Needless to say, the wedding just drew nearly every inclination I could ever have to craft, but I would definitely like to continue making Christmas cookies (I cranked out 4 dozen over the weekend - that's creative, right?!) and would eventually like to do some fun wedding photo/album projects!

What about you? What was the last thing YOU made???

No comments:

Post a Comment